Picnic is an app-only supermarket. We’re data driven with software at our core. Our world-class developers write immaculate code to support the world’s fastest growing supermarket. We’re on a quest for like-minded people to be part of the future of digital grocery shopping.
🏢 Where you fit in
Our developers are highly involved and essential to each part of our company. From route planning, scaling our customers’ analytics to handle enormous chunks of data, to calculating how many bananas we should have in our warehouse on a Thursday – our teams write, plan, and predict.
As one of our Python developers, you grab ownership of projects, grow, and work collaboratively with your colleagues. You design, implement, test, evolve, and evaluate the nuts and bolts of our operations while offering a creative and analytical approach. You feel at home writing software libraries and applications and display an intricate understanding of how each line of code fits into a business plan.
At Picnic your skills will be complemented with the latest tech and our diverse projects will keep you challenged and motivated. From designing, developing, and testing new user-facing features, to optimizing supply chain systems and improving the scalability and security of our platform: you’ll be managing individual project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables, while finding yourself fully immersed in an engaging cculture.
We don’t hide what we do. Instead, we open-source with the community that helped us grow, and talk about software in our engineering blog. Check for yourself, on https://blog.picnic.nl.
🔥 What challenges await you
- Manage, lead and complete projects.
- Design, develop, and test software for our platform
- Create high-quality code that is scalable, reliable and reusable
- Help our analysts with any engineering questions or challenges they may face
- Develop new features and improve the scalability and security of our Python systems
- Take ownership of projects and manage their entire life cycles.
👉🏼 Who you are
- You have a degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent, or relevant experience
- You have outstanding Python skills
- ...with at least 5 years of professional experience
- You have experience with Docker
- You have a good understanding of relational databases and SQL
- You know when to use NoSQL solutions like MongoDB, ElasticSearch, and RabbitMQ
- You feel comfortable building microservices
- You know your way around software versioning (git), test suites, technical documentation, and continuous integration and deployment
- ...and you don't mind collecting bonus points with your cloud and Kubernetes skills
👩💻 Technologies you'll use
- Python 3.9/3.10/3.11
- Many Python libraries across various domains
- PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Snowflake, RabbitMQ
- AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, TeamCity
🍩 Picnic perks
Every expert was once a beginner!
- You’ll get plenty of opportunities to challenge yourself and grow, including the Picnic Tech Academy, Lunch & Learn sessions, and tailored soft skills training. We also offer free professional weekly language courses.
Make a difference
- You’ll work in an awesome startup environment with the freedom to drive your own projects and create a visible impact.
- Our fully electric vehicles and sustainable business model mean you’ll also be contributing to making the world a better place!
Teamwork makes the dream work
- With more than 80 nationalities across 3 countries, you’ll be part of a diverse company with plenty of cool stuff to get involved with, from board game evenings to after-work drinks to our company ski trip and more!
You are what you eat
- You’ll get freshly prepared, healthy lunches and snacks (with plenty of vegetarian, vegan, and halal options). Coffee snob? Don’t worry, our amazing Picnic barista has you covered.
- Mental health is important. As well as having the option to speak with Picnic colleagues who act as confidential advisors, our collaboration with OpenUp gives you easy access to professional psychologists, along with workshops and materials.
- There are plenty of sports communities and events to get involved with, from tennis to yoga, to climbing!
- We offer competitive compensation and a pension plan that looks out for your future self, as well as 25 vacation days per year, so you can recharge your batteries
Benefits for expats
It can be daunting starting a new job AND moving to a new country. That’s why we offer lots of support for our many expat colleagues, including:
- Relocation package: If you join Picnic from abroad, we’ll cover your trip to Amsterdam, sponsor your Visa, and offer you a month of accommodation while you settle in (as long as regulations allow).
- In the Netherlands, we offer support with your first tax report as well as arranging the 30% ruling.
- From health insurance to living arrangements to pet passports, there are always colleagues who’ve faced the same challenges and are more than happy to help!
Commitment to equal opportunities
Picnic is an equal opportunity employer—this means that all decisions regarding applications will be based on qualifications and merit. Applicants will be regarded independently of age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, skin color, civil status, religious beliefs, physical or mental disability, or any other factors protected by law.
At Picnic, we celebrate and value our differences and are committed to building a safe and inclusive working environment where everyone can be themselves.