At Picnic, we’re revolutionizing the way people buy groceries with our affordable and sustainable app-only service. We do almost everything in-house, developing cutting-edge technologies and processes to ensure we continue to grow rapidly without missing a beat. If you’re a passionate Data Scientist, we’re offering you the opportunity to join the diverse team at our Amsterdam HQ and make a real difference in our data-driven, scale-up environment.
🥜 In a nutshell
As a Data Scientist at Picnic, you’ll work on creating intelligent, automated systems to solve our company’s biggest challenges, at scale. Your main responsibility will be scaling one of the data science team’s most impactful projects: payment fraud detection — to ensure we block intentional fraud, not happy customers. You will drive core development and tackle complex challenges, such as working with imbalanced datasets with delayed labels, as well as designing real-time prediction methods with proper offline training. Next to being great with building models: you’re also a blend of internal consultant, software engineer, and applied mathematician.
You might think, ‘Sounds good, but 80% of my job is going to be cleaning data.’ Not here. Our data is registered, logged, consistent, and immaculate. We’re a mature team with the infrastructure, tools, and expertise to get models into production. With payment fraud detection being central to Picnic’s value proposition, we are looking for a passionate applied scientist with a strong background in building production models to own and drive this project forward.
Check out some of our previous machine learning projects here: https://blog.picnic.nl/tagged/machine-learning
🎯 What you’ll do
You will focus on building machine learning systems for payment fraud detection:
- Improve our models for payment fraud detection
- Design new features to detect emerging fraud patterns
- Build prediction models to detect fraud across different markets and customer behavior
- Build robust ML systems serving millions of customers real-time
- Adapt the model to an ever-changing business proposition to mitigate the continuous changes in fraud landscape
- Develop and design fair and ethical models
- Work with the complex data landscape of payment transactions
- Lead the development of the model’s web service to scale and match Picnic’s growth
- Partner with Payment analysts to deep dive into fraud patterns
You will definitely:
- Deploy and monitor highly impactful models at a large scale
- Work closely with business leads to identify opportunities, define business cases, and scope out the requirements
- Develop tools and enhancements for our cloud-based data science platform
- Collaborate and share knowledge with data scientists working on other domains, such as forecasting, personalization and natural language processing.
💻 Technologies we use
- Python (Scikit-learn, PyTorch, Tensorflow, FastAPI - or we build our own packages)
- SQL (Snowflake, Postgres)
⭐ About you
- Master’s degree or higher in AI, Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related field
- At least two years of work experience in data science, preferably with experience of working on fraud detection models
- Experience in building and maintaining production-level ML solutions, with solid software engineering and ML principles
- Strong Python and SQL skills
- Superb communication skills and ability to transfer knowledge to business stakeholders and the rest of the data science team
- Comfortable with taking responsibility, showing initiative, and working independently
- Ability to think outside the box and an anything-is-possible mindset
- Quality control: commitment to excellence, performance, and efficiency
For bonus points
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, and CI is a plus
- Experience in financial services, with preference to fraud, credit, cybersecurity or other heavily quantitative areas
📖 Picnic Perks
Every expert was once a beginner!
- You’ll get plenty of opportunities to challenge yourself and grow, including the Picnic Tech Academy, Lunch & Learn sessions, and tailored soft skills training. We also offer free professional weekly language courses.
Make a difference
- You’ll work in an awesome scale-up environment with the freedom to drive your own projects and create a visible impact.
- Our fully electric vehicles and sustainable business model mean you’ll also be contributing to making the world a better place!
Teamwork makes the dream work
- With more than 80 nationalities across 3 countries, you’ll be part of a diverse company with plenty of cool stuff to get involved with, from board game evenings to after-work drinks to our company ski trip and more!
You are what you eat
- You’ll get freshly prepared, healthy lunches and snacks (with plenty of vegetarian, vegan, and halal options). Coffee snob? Don’t worry, our amazing Picnic barista has you covered.
- Mental health is important. As well as having the option to speak with Picnic colleagues who act as confidential advisors, our collaboration with OpenUp gives you easy access to professional psychologists, along with workshops and materials.
- There are plenty of sports communities and events to get involved with, from tennis to yoga to climbing!
- We offer competitive compensation and a pension plan that looks out for your future self as well as 25 vacation days per year, so you can recharge your batteries
- Where possible, we like to enable people to work in ways that suit their working styles, which is why we have a hybrid-working model. Our teams generally like to have at least one team day per week at the office (the tasty lunch and Barista-made coffee may be a factor), but besides that, it’s up to you and your team.
Benefits for expats
It can be daunting starting a new job AND moving to a new country. That’s why we offer lots of support for our many expat colleagues, including:
- Relocation package: If you join Picnic from abroad, we’ll cover your trip to Amsterdam, sponsor your Visa, and offer you a month of accommodation while you settle in (as long as regulations allow).
- In the Netherlands, we offer support with your first tax report as well as arranging the 30% ruling.
- From health insurance to living arrangements to pet passports, there are always colleagues who’ve faced the same challenges and are more than happy to help!
We care about your health and wellbeing. As such, we currently support online interviews and remote onboarding (learn more about the process here).
Commitment to equal opportunities
Picnic is an equal opportunity employer—this means that all decisions regarding applications will be based on qualifications and merit. Applicants will be regarded independently of age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, skin color, civil status, religious beliefs, physical or mental disability, or any other factors protected by law.
At Picnic, we celebrate and value our differences and are committed to building a safe and inclusive working environment where everyone can be themselves.