Check out our blog post to learn about Internal services pipeline in Analytics Platform! 💻
At Picnic, we’re revolutionizing the way people buy groceries with our innovative and sustainable app-only service. We do almost everything in-house, developing cutting-edge technologies and processes to ensure we continue to grow rapidly without missing a beat. If you’re excited about the prospect of leading our Analytics Platform team, we’re offering you the opportunity to bring your skills to our Amsterdam HQ and make a real difference in our scale-up environment.
🥜 In a nutshell
As a Tech Lead for the Analytics Platform Team you will lead the team focusing on building a self-serving platform that delivers any event-based data from the producers to our Data Warehouse and other internal systems. You’ll transfer data from more than a dozen internal systems, as well as from our consumer-facing app and the apps our drivers and shoppers use to make their deliveries.
🎯 What you’ll do
- Contribute to an awesome team atmosphere: you'll mentor, provide feedback, and moderate discussions to help your team members reach their full potential.
- Lead the team to build scalable technical solutions that support the reliable and resilient delivery of 100 million events (and growing!) per day. This includes adjusting the team's processes, responding to feedback and guiding the team when changes are made.
- Support a range of real-time event-driven Picnic use cases, and facilitating adoption of Kafka across Picnic, alongside existing real-time messaging systems like RabbitMQ.
- Work with stakeholders to rollout analytics pipelines at Picnic, including backend, frontend, and data engineers, business analysts and stakeholders.
- Build a strategic relationship with our Kafka and Infrastructure PaaS and IaaC providers.
- Build a seamless platform for end users to roll out, manage and maintain their own event pipelines.
- Enable the scaling up of existing analytics pipelines, and rollout of new analytics and real time event sources.
- Operational management of Kafka infrastructure, and developing expertise in Kafka and other event processing systems like RabbitMQ.
You can read more about what we do and Analytics Platform here: http://picnic.tech
💻 Technologies we use
- Java 17 (Reactor, Spring Boot and Spring 5)
- Apache Kafka (Confluent Cloud) and RabbitMQ
- Maven and Git
- AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Vault
Hungry for more? Check out https://stackshare.io/picnic-technologies for an overview of our tech stack.
⭐️ About you
- You have a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Information Technology, Computer Engineering or a related technical field
- You have at least 5 years of professional experience in programming and software development
- You have a strong understanding of back-end Java development
- You have experience with Docker
- You have experience with app development for Apache Kafka, AWS Kinesis, or a similar event streaming platform
- You are eager to work with complex distributed systems, and overcome challenges in scalability, event quality and completeness.
- You have an architectural mindset. Finding the trade-offs and applicability of event broker/message processing technologies RabbitMQ and Kafka.
- Experience with Kafka Connect or KStreams is a plus but not required
- Experience with Kubernetes is a plus but not required
- You’re fluent in English (no Dutch required)
📖 Picnic Perks
Every expert was once a beginner!
- You’ll get plenty of opportunities to challenge yourself and grow, including the Picnic Tech Academy, Lunch & Learn sessions, and tailored soft skills training. We also offer free professional weekly language courses.
Make a difference
- You’ll work in an awesome startup environment with the freedom to drive your own projects and create a visible impact.
- Our fully electric vehicles and sustainable business model mean you’ll also be contributing to making the world a better place!
Teamwork makes the dream work
- With more than 80 nationalities across 3 countries, you’ll be part of a diverse company with plenty of cool stuff to get involved with, from board game evenings to after-work drinks to our company ski trip and more!
You are what you eat
- You’ll get freshly prepared, healthy lunches and snacks (with plenty of vegetarian, vegan, and halal options). Coffee snob? Don’t worry, our amazing Picnic barista has you covered.
- Mental health is important. As well as having the option to speak with Picnic colleagues who act as confidential advisors, our collaboration with OpenUp gives you easy access to professional psychologists, along with workshops and materials.
- There are plenty of sports communities and events to get involved with, from tennis to yoga, to climbing!
- We offer competitive compensation and a pension plan that looks out for your future self, as well as 25 vacation days per year, so you can recharge your batteries
- Where possible, we like to enable people to work in ways that suit their working styles, which is why we have a hybrid-working model. Our teams generally like to have at least one team day per week at the office (the tasty lunch and Barista-made coffee may be a factor), but besides that, it’s up to you and your team.
Benefits for expats
It can be daunting starting a new job AND moving to a new country. That’s why we offer lots of support for our many expat colleagues, including:
- Relocation package: If you join Picnic from abroad, we’ll cover your trip to Amsterdam, sponsor your Visa, and offer you a month of accommodation while you settle in (as long as regulations allow).
- In the Netherlands, we offer support with your first tax report as well as arranging the 30% ruling.
- From health insurance to living arrangements to pet passports, there are always colleagues who’ve faced the same challenges and are more than happy to help!
We care about your health and wellbeing. As such, we currently support online interviews and remote onboarding (learn more about the process here).
Commitment to equal opportunities
Picnic is an equal opportunity employer—this means that all decisions regarding applications will be based on qualifications and merit. Applicants will be regarded independently of age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, skin color, civil status, religious beliefs, physical or mental disability, or any other factors protected by law.
At Picnic, we celebrate and value our differences and are committed to building a safe and inclusive working environment where everyone can be themselves.